Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Marne Avenue, friends and neighbors


From upper left, clockwise: My bedroom (and Matthew's), neighbors Lauren and Mark Lesser, Pat, Jim,and John G., Lincoln School playground, my bedroom in upstairs, unheated porch.




Our next door neighbors were the Hathaway's on the corner of Stratfield Road (Burton and Polly) and the Haflich's (later the Lessers.) Further up the street on our side were the Olderman's (Richard), the GEANURACOS family (including



Connie and Patricia; .Jim and Johnny) and the Lee's on the corner with Euclid Avenue (David and Arlene). Next to the Lee's on Euclid Avenue were the Uhrynowski's

(Peter, Jackie and Paul). Across the street from the Uhrynowski's were the Rizzardi's (Roger, David, Francine and Richard). Next door to the Rizzardi's on the corner of Brooklawn Terrace were the Wesche's (George.)

My best friends from those days were



Connie



Roger,



Peter





and Jackie.

Other neighbors (Brooklawn Terrace) were Joe Lampart and Tom Naughton. 


Peter, Jackie and me in kindergarten at Lincoln School.

We played countless hours of baseball (mostly me, Roger, and Connie) and touch football, mostly me, Peter, Roger and Connie until Connie's father forbid her to play). We played some tackle football as well, a couple of classic games against the neighboring Morrisey gang) and among ourselves on the Brooklawn Golf Course. Also on Brooklawn - sledding, skating, hockey.

Connie and I did shoot a lot of basketball in my driveway, but we never played real games. Bike riding, exploring neighborhood woods and swamps were also favorite activities. Monopoly and chess were favorite indoor activities (Jackie taught me to play chess.)

We catered my Br Mitzvah party ourselves:




xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment